What is a Rubric?
A rubric is an assessment tool that lays out the specific expectations for an assignment.
Why Use Rubrics?
- Rubrics improve student performance by clearly showing the student how their work will be evaluated and what is expected
- Rubrics help students become better judges of the quality of their own work.
- Rubrics allow assessment to be more objective and consistent.
- Rubrics force the teacher to clarify his/her criteria in specific terms.
- Rubrics provide useful feedback to the teacher regarding the effectiveness of the instruction.
- Rubrics provide students with more informative feedback about their strengths and areas in need of improvement.
- Rubrics accommodate heterogeneous classes by offering a range of quality levels.
Tips for Using Rubrics
- Make sure the rubric is in language the learner understands
- Share and discuss the rubric with students at the beginning of a unit or introduction of the project/assignment.