March 13, 2020
Parents of Campbellsport Students
The Campbellsport School District primary concerns are the education and safety of our students. As the COVID-19 pandemic enters the Fond du Lac area, we are all being affected. The School District has been closely monitoring the local situation with the assistance of the county and state health agencies. We have been sanitizing the classrooms and other areas, previously but recently received an increased method which will be used at least weekly in all classrooms. Teachers, students and other staff members have been disinfecting computers, and other objects which multiple students might be contacting. Most importantly the staff is emphasizing personal hygiene practices such as proper cough/sneeze actions and multiple hand washing breaks during the school day.
The reality is this viral infection is spreading and will continue to spread. We each individually and collectively must adjust your routines to slow and minimize its effect. In this situation the Wisconsin Department of Health Services has the authority to close public schools and public gatherings. That potential of closing schools exists and parents should prepare for that to occur.
As a precaution, effective immediately, the Campbellsport School District is suspending all field trips, evening events, (Bear Night, Math Night, etc..), non-essential visitor privileges, competitions (including athletics) of student groups with other schools and reassessing on April 13. Also there will be no usage of the facilities for outside groups including CYO Drama Group, 4-H, Travel Basketball, Cub Scouts, Youth Sports Clubs, etc….
Again we ask that you keep your students home if they have a cough/sneeze, feel achy and fever. They should not come to school until the fever is gone for 48 hrs. Also students who travel out of the country including cruises will be required to stay home for 14 days upon return.
To reduce the spread of respiratory viruses:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially before eating and after going to the bathroom, blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If you do not have soap and water, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water when hands are visibly dirty.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick including unless you have been fever free for 48 hrs.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
In summary, 1.) we are all taking preventive action to combat this viral agent; 2.) we must prepare for Wisconsin DHS action of cancellation; 3.) we are reducing contact with other schools along with the use of our school; 4.) we need your help in supporting personal hygiene practices. Again, as a District the safety and wellness of all students as well as our staff plus the community is a primary function. It is to this end that these actions are being taken.
Paul A. Amundson