Change in the Specific Learning Disability Criteria
Wisconsin’s rule for identifying students with specific learning disabilities (SLD) has changed. No later than December 1, 2013, all initial SLD evaluations of public school students will use information from interventions to make eligibility decisions.
This article is to notify you that beginning on December 1st, 2013 initial SLD evaluations in the Campbellsport School District will begin using information from a student’s response to intensive, scientific research based or evidence based interventions when making special education eligibility decisions.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please refer below or contact Laura Stautz, Director of Pupil Services, at 920-533-1267.
School districts in Wisconsin are responsible for identifying and evaluating children with possible disabilities. Students who are having difficulties in school may need extra help through special education. Special education services are for students who:
- Meet state eligibility criteria for one or more of the eleven disability areas
- And have a need for special education and related services
A child must be at least 3 years old, but not yet 21, and not yet graduated from high school. Anyone can refer a child for an evaluation but only parents can grant consent for the evaluation to happen.
- Parent consent
Individual Education Program (IEP) Team decides:
- Does the child have an impairment/disability
- Does the child need special education services
- IEP team writes the educational plan together, outlining what services the child needs
- IEP team decides on placement (where services will happen)
- If parent gives consent for services, the plan is implemented
- IEP team reviews the plan annually
- IEP team re-evaluates child at least once every three years, unless parent and school agree not to
If you have concerns about your child’s development or school progress, talk first with your child’s teacher to see what is being done or what could be done to help. If you would like to make a referral, complete the yellow sections of the referral form and send to: Laura Stautz, Director of Pupil Services, 114 W. Sheboygan St, Campbellsport, WI 53010. Forms can be downloaded from the website below or picked up from any school office